Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) testing is a powerful diagnostic tool to assess communication from the brain to various organs such as the heart & vascular system, lungs, kidneys, stomach, liver, intestines & digestive system.
What is the autonomic nervous system?
The ANS is the system of the body that controls:
- Blood pressure and pulse rate
- Blood flow to different parts of the body
- Bowel and Bladder functions
- Sexual function
ANS testing has a standardized and specific protocol established for acquiring reliable and accurate results. ANS testing can be tolerated by most patients as there are specific maneuvers required to be performed throughout the test. The test includes 4 sections. These sections include:
- Resting heart rate, blood pressure & pulse (arterial) waveform
- Valsalva Maneuver
- Deep breathing
- Response to postural change (sitting to standing)